Since I had written a blog about the safety of using homeopathy while breastfeeding, I wanted to follow with a post about babies experiencing colic. They are very uncomfortable – in pain, having difficulty sleeping, having difficulty eating, spitting up. All this affects the household.
The mother is very busy taking care of the baby, and may often forget to take care of herself. I know how easy it is for a mother to put herself aside, and not take the time to care for herself. Actually, what mother does have the time. The baby is very sensitive to how the mother responds to him or her. (This may be the start of another post.)
If the mother is breastfeeding, there is a direct connection between the mother and her baby through her breast milk. The emotional state of the mother, the foods she eats, how much sleep she gets, how much fluids she drinks, what kinds of fluids she drinks – all these can affect her baby. Specifically, the mother may notice after she eats certain foods that her baby is very uncomfortable with pain and with gas. The mother may then decide to refrain from eating those foods while she continues to breastfeed. This may give the baby some relief. Some of these foods are: spicy foods, broccoli, cabbage, legumes, and dairy products.
A baby who is not breastfeeding may experience colic as well. A change in the formula may be needed. Also, it could be a response to what the mother is feeling within herself. Again, going back to the mother taking some time to care for herself.
Homeopathy can help babies that are breastfed and bottle fed.
Below are listed several homeopathic remedies or medicines that can be helpful for a baby that is experiencing colic. Observe what and how the baby is feeling: the emotional state, the discomfort, and physical symptoms of the baby. Then “match” the observation to the description below. Homeopathy is based on the principle LIKE CURES LIKE or THE LAW OF SIMILARS. The homeopathic remedy that is most similar to the baby will be the most helpful and promote a healing.
If these remedies do not help, and the baby is very uncomfortable, it would be good to see a professional homeopath. There are over 3000 remedies. The aim is to give the person, the baby in this case, the homeopathic remedy that is most similar to what he/she is experiencing. Or it may be that it is the mother that needs to be treated by a homeopath, which would benefit both the mother and the baby.
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES: (Adults and older children also can experience “colic”. These homeopathic medicines may be helpful for them.)
- Angry babies. Screaming. Restless. Demand to be carried. Want things, and then reject them. Cannot be comforted.
- Abdomen/stomach feel bloated. Unbearable pain.
- Will draw legs up.
- Baby will cry when passing a stool.
- Diarrhea with green stools.
- One check red, the other not.
- Better: for uncovering. Babies will kick covers off. Being carried.
- Worse: during the evening, warmth, for fresh air.
- Irritable. Indignation. Restless.
- Doubles up. Draws knees up. Presses on abdomen.
- Abdomen/stomach distended.
- Pains: cutting, gripping, tearing, violent. Coming on in waves.
- Pains with diarrhea that are green, pasty.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Better: doubling up, warmth, firm pressure and rubbing (stomach), for passing stool. When put on parent’s knee or shoulder.
- Worse: anger, eating (especially fruit) or drinking even a little. Becoming overheated. Before having a bowel movement.
Restless at night in bed.
- Abdomen: sore, bruised, tender and hot.
- Pain: cramping, violent. Nausea and vomiting.
- Better: for cold drinks.
- Worse: for touch, for vomiting.
- Restless in bed at night making it difficult to sleep.
- Oversensitive to noise.
- Cramping, sore, bruised. With constipation – stools crumbly, small balls, knotty – a lot of straining.
- Constipation after drinking cow’s milk.
- Diarrhea – green stools.
- Sweat and stools smell sour.
- Worse: form milk or caused by drinking milk, teething.
- Better: fresh air, for pressure.
- Sleepless because of indigestion.
- Pain: cramping, drawing . Drawing up legs with flatulence.
- Better: for warmth, bending double, from pressure. (Being held on top of a warm hot water bottle)
- Worse: col, swimming in cold water, for touch or light pressure, being uncovered, from walking in the fresh air.
- Best to dissolve pellets in filtered or spring water and give a spoonful at a time.
- Colic in babies when breastfeeding mother is eating too much spicy food or drinking too much coffee, tea or Coca-Cola.
- Pain: cramping, griping, pressing, sore and bruised.
- Better: passing a stool, hot drinks, warmth of bed, passing flatulence
- Worse: after eating, in morning, for tight clothing.