I have written about grieving in a prior post. I thought about just re-sending that post, but wanted to add a few more thoughts about grieving.
Grief is a feeling, the emotion we experience when we lose something or someone. We feel grief over a loss.
Crying helps. Talking to a friend. Expressing your anger in a constructive way. Taking a bath. Receiving and giving a hug. Creating something. Being out in nature. Basically, being kind to and taking care of yourself.
As a homeopath, I don’t necessarily see people who come in and say I am grieving, and need help for this loss. I take the case, witnessing with the patient what is bothering them. Sometimes a loss is expressed and shared with me. And the person may be grieving for this loss. A loss can be:
- A death – parent, baby, child, spouse, significant other, relative, friend, pet
- A loss of a job – firing, resigning, downsizing, restructuring, retiring
- A move – changing one’s place of residency, a friend moving away, moving to another country, loss of a house/home
- A grown child moving out, or going to college/another city for work/enlisting in the military
- A divorce, a separation, or a relationship ending
- A situation, event or even how you respond to something that is different than what you thought or wanted it to be
- A change in the political climate
- A change in your life – such as becoming a parent, getting married. The change event can be a good and happy one, but there may be some reactions or responses (losses) to these changes.
- A loss of income
- An (ongoing) illness – of oneself or a loved one, an aging parent, a pet
- A war
- A natural disaster – a friend years ago lost her house in a fire
- A restriction, lock down, or lack of freedom – such as we have just been experiencing all over the world
- A possibility or plan change – something we had been looking forward to isn’t happening, a relationship with a person that won’t happen
- I am sure there are other losses
At first the loss is mentioned as the person is talking and telling me about themselves, about how they feel what bothers them, and about their past. The loss is almost mentioned as an aside. Very often, I have noticed that what is bothering them, what brought them to homeopathy started when they experienced this loss. And the loss could have happened several years ago, and has had a lingering effect on the person. The loss could be considered a trauma.
(I came across this photo of this sculpture made by the artist Celeste Roberge on Facebook. It conveys the feelings of grief. Heaviness. Weighted down. Unable to move. Feeling trapped. Google her to see more of her work.)
I want to tell you about two women I have seen who have experienced a loss in their lives.
One woman has been feeling indifferent and apathetic to her life, not wanting to do anything. She is used to being in a work situation that is filled with people, and being involved with working with people together, as a team. She had recently retired. She no longer has this environment. It is a loss for her. It is something that she had always valued, and she misses it. She doesn’t necessarily say it this way, but that is what is expressed. This loss is an important part of her case, telling a lot about her as a person, along with the physical issues that are bothering her.
Another woman had a significant family member pass away. For her, not having this person in her life is very difficult. She has felt since the loss of this person, a numbness, a sense of being scattered, a difficulty focusing, fatigue, and digestive issues.
There is a lot more to each of these two women. I mention them here, because I want to point out that grief and feeling a loss of something, of someone, or of an environment in one’s life, can have an effect on our lives. The person is grieving, and missing what was – a person, an event, a possibility and more.
Homeopathy To Heal
Homeopathy can be part of one’s healing process when they are going through the feeling of grief, and have experienced a loss. There are also therapists, counselors, grief recovery specialists and other healing practitioners. If I can be of help, please contact me here or through my website www.homeopathytoheal.com. I offer a complimentary 15+ minute Get Acquainted Phone Call to see if this is a fit.