A friend of mine who works with children, and adults, as a vision therapist, told me recently that a lot of the children have been saying to her that they don’t sleep well. This was curious to me. Sleep is so very important. It is the time that we reset ourselves – our bodies, our minds, our emotions, and our spirits. It is a time of healing. To not sleep well, to me, means there is something that is blocking that innate ability to just slow down, turn off, feel and be safe, and sleep. There is some uproar, some imbalance, some disturbance within the child that prevents them to get the rest that they need.
Is Your Child Having Difficulty Sleeping?
How is your child’s sleep?
- difficulty falling asleep
- waking frequently
- waking early and not able to go back to sleep
- having nightmares – certain images come up
- not wanting to sleep alone (this may not be a problem)
- checking in with parents frequently during the night
- light sleeper, when previously they were a not as sensitive to their environment
- heavy sleeper – difficulty waking
- changes in sleep habits and behaviors
- self comforting behaviors
- feeling anxious
- feeling fearful
- emotional upsets – crying, tantrums, angry outbursts, stubbornness, sadness
- a physical ailment that is keeping them from getting a good night’s sleep – chronic ear infections, stomachaches, headaches, eczema, allergies, asthma, coughs, colds, fevers
- a change in the environment: a new sibling, a move, a parent being away for a length of time, a death, a divorce
I want to tell you about two children I have seen over the years in my practice who had sleeping difficulties. The difficulty sleeping was part of what brought each child to homeopathy along with other concerns. The sleeping difficulty was a part of the whole picture of the child. By really seeing what was bothering the child, a homeopathic remedy was given that fit the child. It wasn’t a remedy for the sleeping difficulty, but a remedy for the child. Each was given a different homeopathic remedy. They both did well.
The first patient was a young girl who experienced a lot of nightmares at night. She also had difficulty falling asleep, and would wake up early. She wasn’t getting a full night’s sleep and didn’t feel rested during the day. This affected how she interacted with her family, and just how she was during the day. She was not always easy to be around. With the homeopathic remedy that was similar to her, she started to sleep better. The nightmares were much less, occurring rarely. She was easier to be around during the day. And when the sleeping became difficult again, that was a sign that she needed another dose of the remedy. I actually have not seen her for about year. I am thinking she is doing well.
The other patient was a young boy. He would go to bed at night, and during the first few hours, he would be up asking his mother when was his father coming home, if his father was away or working late. And if he heard any noises in the house, he would get up and ask his mother what are those noises? And maybe there is a burglar in the house? He would do this several times during the evening. With the homeopathic remedy that fit him, he no longer needed to check in with his mother when he went to bed at night. He was able to go to bed, fall asleep, and sleep through the night.
Healing With Homeopathy
I would be happy to talk with you on how homeopathy could be of help for your child, if they are experiencing a sleeping issue. Please know too, that if you as an adult having sleeping difficulties, homeopathy would be helpful for you too. Either contact me here on this blog, or through my website www.homeopathytoheal.com I have a 15+ minute complimentary Get Acquainted Phone Call.